Friday, July 3, 2009

RECIPE: Strawberry Cheese Tarts

July 4th is a day of BBQ, but how about a sweet treat? Flag fruit pastries and the like are common. I found a recipe a few years back that has become a tradition that we look forward to every year! What better way to put to use that homemade strawberry jam that I just made back in June but in a July 4th treat! This morning I just finished up a delectable batch of STRAWBERRY CHEESE TARTS to share with friends that are arriving today to celebrate this historic day.

First there is a bit of history behind this particular tart! I did not follow the recipe exactly, rather I used a tart cutter my father gave me the last time I was home for a visit. My mom use to do a lot of baking and prune tarts around Christmas time were a staple in our home. It wasn't until I was an adult that I actually grew to enjoy those prunes! So when I came across this recipe my eyes got wide and I was excited to give it a try with mom's old tart cutter! The bonus was the treats look like stars!!


I have never seen a cutter like this in the stores, so I wonder what everyone else thinks of when they hear the word "tart". For me .. its fond memories of baking with my mom. She no longer is able to bake like the good ole days, but she taught her knack in the kitchen on to me, and for that I will be forever grateful. Additionally, I have already begun to pass along the same traditions .. teaching and enjoying the joys of baking with my girls.


So on to the recipe! These are YuMMiLiCOUS!

STRAWBERRY CHEESE TARTS !
2 sticks of butter, room temperature
1 pkg (8oz) cream cheese, room temperature
1/4 tsp salt
2 cups all purpose flour
1 pint strawberry jam
1 beaten egg

Mix all ingredients on low speed until blended. Chill at least 2 hours. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Kneed portions of dough on lightly floured surface then roll out to 1/8" thickness.
If you do not have any sort of a tart cutter, you can cut circles with a cookie cutter or water glass. Spoon a teaspoon of strawberry jam in center. Brush edges with beaten egg. Put another circle on top and press edges all around together with a fork. Brush tops with beaten egg and sprinkle with sugar. Place on lightly greased cookie sheet and bake until edges are golden brown, 10-12 mins. Can serve warm. Keep in air tight container. ENJOY!

1 comment:

Sarah Keplinger said...

Burt's Mom likes to serve them filled with prunes. Don't scoff people! They are really good.